Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Life Happens

There is life outside the garden, as I have forcefully been reminded in the last weeks. Inspired by Scott Ogden's book Garden Bulbs for the South, which I bought at the garden seminar, I ordered a few hundred (!) and meant to get them all in... but then our dearly beloved 13-year-old dog died traumatically, I had a birthday, we spent a weekend away visiting a desperately ill friend in the hospital, and 32 came for Thanksgiving dinner! Whew. I made a little memorial booklet for our dog Morena, which helped the grieving process, but took up all my computer time. Then getting ready, and actually orchestrating, Thanksgiving for so many took up all my energy and then some. It was fun to set the 3 tables and make bouquets for them. People seemed to have a good time, and stayed (and stayed, and stayed.) It took me a couple of days to recover, but I did actually get 100 bulbs in yesterday, and hope to do more today. The weather is unduly warm, with little rain, which is worrisome. I live in hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just getting them in the ground is the main thing. Then, let nature take its course. You will have beautiful dreams all winter of what you are expecting.
Donna

steelystyle said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
The bouquet is beautiful! More, please...I identified salvia and white roses, but what were the fennel-head looking things?
-E.

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

Nancy, I just discovered your blog this morning and look forward to hearing more from you. I send my sympathy on the sudden loss of your dear dog.